Are you considering toe implant surgery? This procedure can reduce your pain levels and increase your mobility. But you might wonder what the recovery and rehabilitation process will look like. When you seek treatment at Best Foot Doctor NY, our team of doctors puts your comfort and well-being first. We’ll answer all of your questions thoroughly and support you throughout the recovery process.
After we perform toe implant surgery for our Manhattan, NYC patients, we often hear that the procedure was life-changing. If you’re a candidate for toe implant surgery, don’t let concerns about the recovery process hold you back. The more you know what to expect, the more you can prepare for success. Keep reading to learn more about the recovery and rehabilitation process after your toe implant surgery.
What’s The Difference Between Big Toe Fusion Surgery And Big Toe Joint Replacement Surgery?
Big toe fusion and big toe joint replacement surgery have a lot in common. However, there are a few key differences to understand.
Big Toe Fusion Surgery
When your foot surgeon performs big toe fusion surgery, they’ll remove bone spurs and/or portions of damaged bone that are causing pain. They’ll also use implanted screws to fasten your big toe joint in a straight position. After surgery, your mobility will be limited. However, you can expect a reduction in former pain levels as you recover.
Big Toe Joint Replacement Surgery
Big toe joint replacement surgery can reduce pain levels, and it can also preserve your mobility more than fusion surgery. Sometimes, if your joint replacement surgery doesn’t lead to the desired outcome, you’ll be able to opt for fusion surgery instead.
If you have cartilage in your toe joint that’s eroded or damaged, your toe surgeon can remove it. Then, they’ll replace it with an implant that serves as an artificial joint. This helps prevent friction and pain from bone surfaces in your toe that rub together.
Common Questions About The Toe Implant Surgery Recovery Process
It’s important to know what recovery will look like so you can plan and ensure your needs are met. Let’s take a look at some commonly asked questions about the recovery process.
What Can I Expect Immediately After Surgery?
Once your procedure is complete, you’ll need to wear a cast or boot for a while. Once you’re able to walk effectively, using tools like canes or walkers, you’ll likely be sent home with recovery instructions. You should arrange for someone else to help care for you at home for several days. It will be important to attend all follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your recovery process.
How Can I Optimize My Recovery Outcomes After Toe Implant Surgery?
After your surgery, you can take several steps to increase the odds of a smooth recovery. Some of these include:
- Arranging for someone to help you with your daily activities, like bathing and preparing food, while you recover
- Reducing the amount of weight you’re bearing on your toe as much as possible. Make sure you’ll have plenty of access to devices like canes and handrails when you need them.
- Wearing shoes with hard soles
- Resting with your foot elevated to minimize discomfort
- Working with a physical therapist to restore function and mobility
- Following an exercise program recommended by your toe implant surgeon
- Following up with your doctor immediately if you notice any unexpected changes
After recovery, some patients report that their new toe implant feels completely normal. Other patients find that physical therapy helps them get accustomed to moving with the new implant.
What Are The Benefits Of Toe Implant Surgery?
Full recovery after your toe surgery can take several weeks. Once your recovery is complete, some benefits you may be able to look forward to include:
- Being able to wear a wider variety of shoe styles without pain
- Greater ability to stay active
- Less pain throughout the day
- Greater independence when performing daily activities
- A reduced need for oral medications to control pain
- Less of a need for assistive devices, like canes and walkers, to get around
Finding A Toe Implant Surgeon In Manhattan, NYC
If you’re considering toe implant surgery, why not work with the best podiatrists in NYC? Call Dr. Emmanuel Fuzaylov today at (718) 291 9020 to make an appointment at Best Foot Doctor NY!