Feet have many different shapes and sizes. Understanding what makes your foot shape unique can have some key benefits for your overall health. You can gain insights into the types of foot problems you’re prone to developing, the foot treatments you may need, and the steps you can take to keep your feet healthy. At Best Foot Doctor NY, we think it’s important for patients to understand the biomechanics of their own feet so that they can make informed decisions about their care.
One important aspect of foot shape is the height of your arches. From flat feet on one end of the spectrum to high arches on the other, an abnormal arch shape can present unique challenges. In this article, you’ll learn more about living with flat feet or high arches – including potential problems you might develop and interventions that can help.
What Are Flat Feet?
If the inside of your feet lacks a visible arch shape, you may have flat feet. This means the whole sole of your foot touches the floor when you stand instead of just the front and back of your foot. Flat feet can develop during childhood or as the result of the aging process. While flat feet might not cause you any problems, they sometimes lead to issues requiring foot treatments.
What Are Some Specific Health Problems Associated With Flat Feet?
Patients with flat feet sometimes develop health problems including:
- Pain in the feet or heels
- Shin splints, which lead to pain in your shin bone
- Joint problems
- Feet that move too far inward when you walk or run
- Pain in the knees or hips
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms and have flat feet, consult a podiatrist about possible treatments.
What Can You Do At Home To Reduce The Risks Associated With Flat Feet?
Some steps you can take at home to reduce the impact of flat feet include:
- Wearing flat-foot shoes designed to support normal posture and gait
- Performing strengthening exercises and stretches to help your body adapt
- Wearing arch supports inside your regular shoes
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
How Can Your Manhattan, NYC Podiatrist Provide Foot Treatments For Flat Feet?
Flat foot treatment can involve physical therapy, which your podiatrist may recommend. They may also advise you about orthotics, shoes, and other lifestyle changes. If needed, your podiatrist can perform flat foot surgery. During a flat foot reconstruction surgery, your surgeon will correct deformities and repair the bones, tendons, and ligaments affected by flat feet.
What Are High Arches?
A high arch is raised more than a normal foot so that it points too far towards the ceiling. Many patients with high arches are genetically predisposed to the condition, though there can be other causes. Having high arches prevents weight from being correctly distributed throughout your foot surface.
What Are Some Specific Health Problems Associated With High Arches?
High arches can cause a range of health problems, including:
- Feet that roll outward too much, putting excess stress on your knees and other body parts
- Pain in the bottom of your foot surface
- Increased risk of foot injuries such as sprained ankles
- Deformities like hammertoes
- Poor posture
- Excessive calluses on your feet
What Can You Do At Home To Reduce The Risks Associated With High Arches?
If you have a high-arched foot, you can take some steps to reduce the impact on your health. Effective home treatments include:
- Wearing high-arch shoes to provide the support you need
- Using insoles designed specifically for high arches
- Performing stretches and strengthening exercises for your feet
How Can Your Manhattan, NYC Podiatrist Provide Foot Treatments For High Arches?
Your podiatrist may recommend several treatments for your high arches, including:
- Custom orthotics to relieve your symptoms
- Removing calluses that developed as a result of your high arches
- Surgery to correct bones and tissue within your foot and lower your arch shape
The Best Foot Treatments For Flat Feet Or High Arches in Manhattan, NYC
If you have flat feet or high arches, you need an experienced podiatrist to keep your feet healthy. Best Foot Doctor NY can provide foot treatments for high arches or flat feet, including reconstructive surgery and callus removal. Call Dr. Emmanuel Fuzaylov today at (718) 291 9020 to schedule your appointment!