It is easy for us to ignore our feet and all the hard work they do for us. Most people would not consider going a day without a shower or even a few hours without washing their hands, but a foot care routine often goes by the wayside. If you have diabetes or an autoimmune disease, it is critical that your foot health is under the supervision of a foot doctor. If you are in the New York City (NYC) area and are looking for a qualified podiatrist, Best Foot Doctor has offices in Queens, Manhattan, and Brooklyn where you can find help.
Essential Tips for Daily Foot Care
New Yorkers live busy lives and you may feel that you don’t have time to add another care routine into your schedule. Foot care doesn’t have to be time-consuming, but caring for your feet can be a type of self-care that enhances your daily life. Here are six tips that are essential for a good foot care routine.
- Wash your feet with a gentle cleanser, then rinse them thoroughly, and dry them with a soft cloth. Letting water from your shower run over your feet is not an adequate cleansing routine.
- Use a hydrating lotion or cream every day to moisturize skin and keep it soft and healthy.
- Use a pumice stone to sand down dead skin on the heels or calluses. Removing dead skin can help prevent cracks in the skin and infections from entering the bloodstream.
- Trim your toenails straight across rather than rounding them to prevent ingrown toenails. Ingrown toenails can cause sores in the skin that may allow germs or infections to get inside.
- Wear shoes that fit well and have a roomy foot box. Change your shoes regularly and be sure to dry them out between uses. Consider using a foot powder to keep things clean and dry if your feet are prone to sweating.
- Check your feet regularly for cuts, bruises, and anything out of the ordinary. If you find anything concerning, be sure to schedule an appointment with your foot doctor as soon as possible.
Caring for your feet every day can improve not just your foot health, but also your whole body health. Many people find that foot care improves their outlook on life and can be a mood booster. Caring for your feet is caring for yourself.
How to Find A Foot Care Routine Doctor in New York City (NYC)
If you find an anomaly while doing a routine foot care check on your own, or you have questions about how to improve your foot care routine, please give our offices a call to schedule an appointment. Scheduling a yearly checkup with your podiatrist is also a good way to identify any issues before they become something serious. With these six foot care tips and a yearly checkup, your feet should be better than ever soon.